About Me

I’m Lucy, and I’m about to start my third year studying a BA Hons Business Management with Marketing degree at Pearson College London. This blog includes some of the lessons I have learnt from studying at Pearson College London, and some advice for prospective students who are starting their university journey.

First lesson: Trains are unreliable… in fact all public transport is!

I learnt pretty quickly that the trains are very unreliable, and tube strikes are a regular occurrence, causing even more disruption to your journey. I always make sure I plan enough time for my journey so that if there are delays, I still get to my seminars on time. I also walk from Euston station to Uni to avoid the tubes as even if there aren’t strikes, they are super hot!

Second lesson: Do you pre-reading… your future self will love you for it!

When it comes to reading lists and prep work for modules, most people over-look it, instead waiting until seminars start to do some reading. Whilst yes this does give you an extra two weeks of holiday, it also means you start your studies for the term already behind which is never a good idea. So, once your reading lists are released and you can start doing your prep work, I would strongly advise you crack on with it and get yourself ahead and prepped for the term.

This was a harder lesson to learn and something I didn’t really realise until the second half of my second year, but now I wouldn’t go back to my old ways. Trust me, your future self will thank you for it!

Third lesson: London is expensive… very expensive!

If you hadn’t guessed already, London is a very expensive place to study and your student loan might not always accommodate for going out multiple nights a week! I learnt this really quickly after going on a night out with Uni friends and spending £30.00 on two cocktails…

For anyone starting their first year, or even for those that are running a little tight on money generally, I would advise creating a budget, so you know how much you have to spend on nights out after you’ve paid all your bills.

If you are having a night out in the city, remember to make full use of student nights and happy hours as they will save you loads of money (especially on cocktails)! My other top tip would be to give Secret London on Instagram a follow. They show you some really cool places to go that aren’t expensive and aren’t mainstream.

Fourth lesson: Make the most of every opportunity… time flies by and it’ll be over before you know it!

My final lesson for this blog is to make the most of every opportunity that presents itself to you. As soon as you start Uni, time will fly by and before you know it you will have finished your first year and be swiftly moving into your second and third.

I spent a lot of my first year being scared to jump at opportunities for fear of judgement, but looking back I had nothing to worry about. After realising this, I spent my second year saying yes to every opportunity, big or small and it really was the best decision I ever made.

For example, for my People Management and Leadership module, part of the assignment was to create some HR recommendations for Salesforce. After completing the assignment, I was then asked to present these recommendations to a panel of managers from Salesforce. This opportunity was something completely out of my comfort zone, but it gave me the opportunity to improve my presenting skills and get more experience with presenting to an unfamiliar audience.

I would strongly advise you to say yes to every opportunity, even if it isn’t something in your comfort zone, as you never know where it might lead too and you might just surprise yourself and find an unknown ability!

By Lucy Packman (Business Management student)