The Application Process

I found out about the internship through our Talent Development team. The application process was relatively simple as I only had to provide my CV and a cover letter. I then directly reached out to the team who supplied support and resources to improve my application. I also ensured that my cover letter proved my interest in the internship position. I’ve personally always had an interest in fashion and business so naturally felt like a good fit for me! After this, I completed an interview with the founder of the start-up company where I was offered the role.

About My Role

My role is mainly based on market research for the business. At the moment, I’m researching the potential for the business to expand into different countries and product lines. I am also beginning to learn about business contract and what it involves. This is an entirely new experience for me!

What’s wonderful about the internship is that there is no pressure. I can take breaks in between and I can ask as many questions as I want. I can work at my own pace with guidance and support. I usually work for 5 hours in one day and it’s very flexible so I can balance it with university commitments.

Highlights

What has been a highlight for me as an intern is learning and understanding the steps to consider when upscaling a business. I’ve also enjoyed researching global retailers in terms of sustainability, and I am looking forward to contacting them. Overall, this internship has actually made me consider starting my own business in the future.

Key Lessons and Advice

A key lesson I have learnt is that asking questions is super important and you should never be afraid to. There are many things we are unsure of and learning about new things is what an internship is all about.

My advice to others is to take a chance and just apply! Many internship roles are quite flexible, and you can tailor them to your schedule. There are plenty of opportunities and you never know where they might lead.

By Riya Shrestha, 2nd year Business Management with Marketing student