Ever since I knew that I wanted to go into higher education, I have dreamt about studying in the heart of London. There is something so thrilling about living and learning in the capital. There are loads of different people, quirky shops and there's always something to do. London opens doors and allows for plenty of new adventures just because of its location. Here are some of my favourite places and things you can do there.

The Shard is my absolute favourite building. It is slightly on the pricier side of things, but it's great to go to the very top and see the whole of London spread out before you. It isn’t far from campus either, it's only a short walk/tube to London Bridge. It is a truly incredible experience and I recommend that you go at least once whilst studying.

As a student, you will be wanting to find interesting but cheap places to go out with friends and I recommend Camden Market for this purpose. There are plenty of cheap places to eat with a variety of different cuisines. There are also places to go shopping, with a wide range of things to buy on offer. There are also plenty of different activities that you can do there, for example, taking a boat down the canal or playing mini-golf.

Photo by Zck_ on Unsplash

It may sound odd, but one of my top suggestions would be to just walk along the riverside. This is an activity that you can do at any time during the day, it can be as long as you want it to be and as expensive or cheap as you want to make it. You could just pack a picnic and sit down on a bench or in a park somewhere along your walk. Or you can stop at any of the restaurants or bars or activity places along the way to make it more exciting. My favourite walk is between the London Eye and Tower Bridge, the sights are incredible especially at sunset.

Closer to campus, a food favourite of mine would have to be My Old Dutch. It is a cute, independent pancake restaurant situated opposite 190 High Holborn (our Pearson College London campus). They cater to a wide range of customers with both savoury and sweet options. It is the perfect place to have lunch in between seminars or dinner after a long day. The pancakes are reasonably sized and reasonably priced, so it is a perfect student hangout.

Photo by Lorenzo Gerosa on Unsplash

My final recommendations would be to check out Covent Garden and Oxford Street, these are just a 10-minute walk from campus and there is so much to do. There are plenty of shops, places to eat and some lovely sights to see too.

I can tell you all the incredible things that I love to do around London and you can certainly try them, but the best advice I can give you is to explore for yourself. You will have the most fun wandering around London with your mates finding new and fun places and things to do all on your own, and you will create some amazing memories doing so.

By Ilona Munn, third-year student