What has my personal experience been like?

Back in May 2021, after finishing my first year at Pearson Business School studying Business Management with Marketing, I started a full time 6 months internship. Over the summer this was amazing. It kept me busy, I was earning money, building on skills I had learnt in first year, gaining knowledge of the real-life events industry and experiencing what it’s like to work in a start-up. Fast forward to September 2021, with 6 weeks left of my internship to go and the start of my second year at University getting ever closer, the thought of juggling the two brought mixed emotions and thoughts. I had lots of people telling me that I ‘wouldn’t be able to juggle it’ and ‘you’ll reach burn out before you’ve even started your studies’. But this is where they were proven wrong…

So how did I do it?

For 5 weeks I spent 3 days working remotely on my internship, and 2 days at University in London attending face to face seminars. As for prep work, including lectures, wider reading, prep activities for seminars and working on assignments, that was all done very early in the morning or late at night after my 9-5 internship. As socialising with Uni friends, going for cocktails and making the most of the student life in London, that was done before and after seminars.

An example of my weekly calendar

What are my tips for time management?

Here are my top 5 tips for time management to help you take control of your busy schedule…

1. Create a to-do list for each day to stay on top of jobs. This is also really helpful for staying productive and taking the stress out of a long to-do list.
  2. Do a weekly plan on a Sunday evening with all the essential things you need to do that week. This helps you get prepared for the week, so you start on the right foot.
  3. Make sure your diary/calendar is up to date – colour co-ordinate if it is easier to keep track of when and where you are meant to be going.
  4. Set study times and make sure to take scheduled breaks. Studying for long periods isn’t very helpful for taking in information, especially if you are doing it after a long day at work, so set study breaks and more importantly, make sure you stick to them!
  5. Make use of travelling time. Whether this is reading on the train, listening to a podcast, watching prep videos, making notes etc. using travelling time to get some jobs done is a really good way of staying on top of things and putting otherwise dead time to good use.

By Lucy Packman, second year Business Management with Marketing student