My name is Riya, and I am in my 1st year of studying Business Management at Pearson Business  School. This blog shares list of things I wish I’d have known before starting my degree and will hopefully provide some helpful tips before you start your studies too!

1. Have a pen, paper, and laptop ready on your first day!

Pearson Business School have a ‘bring your own device’ policy, so you can bring along the tech that works best for you. It was clumsy of me to forget my laptop and expect to receive some paper like in secondary school! To save yourself the embarrassment, make sure you have everything ready before you leave home (I had to take notes on my phone!).

2. Plan you routes to Campus

Tube stations don’t always have signal, so keep that in mind if you’re not a regular commuter. Planning ahead and learning new routes would be helpful so that you can enjoy your journey without fret.

3. Keep your priorities straight

• Keep track of how much you spend in line with your budget, especially if you’re paying for accommodation.
  • Keep an eye on your deadlines and work in your free time. Being a 1st year does not mean that you can take it easy; you do not want to be repeating another year!
  • As a student, being in contact with people you can trust is also important for your mental health.

4. Make the most of our Student Library

I thought books would cost a fortune before starting university. However, not at Pearson Business School! There’s an extensive digital library for us to explore (one of the many benefits of being part of global FTSE 100 education and publishing company, Pearson!). It has been so convenient and saved a lot of money.

5. Notetaking

The struggle between hand-written notes or digital notes was real! I started off with written notes and realised I was not very good at “notetaking” quickly, which meant that I was spending hours writing sentences off the lecture slides. I soon switched to digital notetaking through my laptop and it has saved me a lot of time. It’s all about discovering what works well for you.

6. Supplies

Take the time to plan out what you really need. Looking back, I didn’t need to spend lots of money on stationery supplies, assuming I would create beautiful notes (the content is most important!). Since I’ve switched to digital notetaking, I rarely use my gel pens, highlighters and notebooks.

7. Determine your Work Pattern

I was once the person to leave things last minute and I hated creating timetables. I usually stuck to my own routine which meant leaving work last minute. I would recommend learning more about lifestyle as a student to work out what type of planning and organising work best. This Student Takeover is a great chance for you to do that!

8. Referencing

Take the time to learn how to reference videos, websites without authors names and understand what sources could be credible for academic writing. This knowledge would’ve been massively helpful during my assignments. I would also advise youto keep a record of the references used as you go along so it’s easier to track what you’ve used at the end.

9. Asking for help

There is a helpful Student Services Team ready to support and guide you. It’s so easy to reach out and email them for any queries. Everyone is also assigned to a Personal Tutor who can help you on a one-to-one basis and assist with general careers advice and support. There are also your Module Tutors who you can reach out to and ask questions about the assignments. With is in mind, it’s important to understand the basics of writing a formal email but don’t suffer in silence and reach out for help when needed.

10. There’s so many opportunities available!

At Pearson Business School, there are lots of interesting events and newsletters for students to look out for. Make sure you time to read these emails because I missed out on some great opportunities due to this. They are equally significant in your life as the text messages and the Snapchats you receive!

Other opportunities provided at Pearson Business School are very helpful, like the Work Fitness events and Guaranteed Internship support. If you were to already research about these events, then you would be able to get the most out of your university life.

-By Riya Shrestha (1st year Business Management student)