My first term as a Degree Apprentice has flown by and I’ve absolutely loved it. Here’s what I’ve been up to so far.

My Job Role

As Communications Assistant here at Pearson College London, my work is very varied. A typical week in my role would involve…

• Creating and scheduling content for our social media channels

• Writing our weekly staff newsletter

• Supporting the Conversion team with Enquires

• Collating and writing posts for our blog platform

• Creating pages for the website

Although I have been in my role for a short time, I’ve already been given lots of responsibility and the tasks I do truly have an impact on the business.

Photo by Mikey Harris on Unsplash
Photo by Mikey Harris on Unsplash

University Life

As a Degree Apprentice, I work Monday-Thursday and study towards a BA(Hons) in Business Management on a Friday. Balancing a full-time job and degree has been a huge challenge but it hasn’t stopped me from enjoying my studies.

During my first term, I studied two modules: Principles of Business which covered the core concepts of Business and Introduction to Research which involved writing a report on a topic of our choice! I decided to base my research on how we can improve social media engagement on the Pearson College London channels. Not only did this contribute to my grade, but I was also able to report back to my team with recommendations on how we can improve our social media strategy.

Aside from my academic learning, I have particularly enjoyed getting involved with student life. The Pearson College Student Association organised an array of virtual events during Freshers Week such as game nights, quizzes, and society fairs. The Talent Development team also put on some great Work Fitness sessions such as Excel workshops and how we can get noticed on LinkedIn.

Photo by Arisa Chattasa on Unsplash

Highlights

One of my top highlights for my first term was being a panellist at The Enterprise Festival: PRO. The event was centred around how companies should recruit young talent virtually and was attended by representatives from IBM, L’Oreal and Pearson. I spoke about my experience of applying to apprenticeships during the pandemic and the challenges I faced. It was a fantastic opportunity to speak in a professional capacity as well as learn about others’ encounters.

Similarly, I also featured in a podcast where I shared what I learnt from the process of applying to apprenticeships. Specifically on how I knew what roles and companies I was best suited to as well as some key lessons I picked up along the way. Within this, I also got to hear from some older apprentices on my scheme who have already been through the whole process, so it was really beneficial!

Another highlight for me was passing my probationary period. After weeks of hard work, adapting to a new environment and way of working, I can safely say that it all paid off!

The Enterprise Festival: PRO

Reflections

Despite the pandemic, I have thoroughly enjoyed my first term as an apprentice at Pearson College London. I am glad that I persevered with the apprenticeship route since I have already learnt and been involved in so much. I am truly grateful to all those who have supported me in my journey so far and I’m looking forward to what the next couple of years will bring me.

If you would like to find out more about Pearson College London's degree apprenticeship programmes, you can visit this dedicated webpage