Internships 2 min read

My Finance Internship at Pearson

Student Author

Student Author posted on

My name is Tambirul Islam and I study Professional Accounting and Business at Pearson College London. During the summer, I completed a 4-week Finance Internship at Pearson where I worked in the Project Accounting and Enabling Functions departments.

How I got the Internship

One day, I received an email from Laura Marshall (Head of Accounting) about the role and I applied for it straight away! I had to send my CV to Amy Moore (Internship Scheme Programme Manager) then I completed a cover letter for the roles I was interested in.

Projects I Worked On

During my time at Pearson, I learnt about different systems such as Oracle and Oracle E-Business suite. I got the opportunity to improve my data analysis skills as I looked at month end forecasts and performed variance analysis tasks. I had to dive deeper into the variances and investigate the reasons behind the figures which involved working with different departments. Once we found out why those variances occurred we then made adjustments to the month end forecasts.

What I Learned

Whilst interning, I learnt how use pivot tables and V-look up in Excel when analysing data. Doing these tasks everyday meant that I was able to use these skills independently without the aid of my managers. I also got the opportunity to complete an Excel Pivot Tables 2016 course where gained a qualification! I was incredibly pleased with this as I can now show it to future employers.

Reflections

At first, I was quite nervous about doing an internship online because I thought it may be difficult working from home.

However the internship proved me wrong as it was the complete opposite! Working remotely meant that I was able to meet with many different departments over live calls. I was also able to network with even more people where I built some new relationships.

I found that the 'screen-sharing' tool was particularly helpful as I was able to perform tasks with the support and guidance of my managers. By the end of the internship I was able to confidently work independently.

By Tambirul Islam

Learn more about our Guaranteed Internship Scheme on our website.

My Finance Internship at Pearson