Industry Engagement 2 min read

Work Fitness Week 2020: 'Get Noticed on LinkedIn'

Student Author posted on

Tell me a bit about yourself

My name is Dillon Chuhan, I’m 23 years old and I study accounting at Pearson College London. I love to create art, and I hope to start a business soon around ethical cosmetics.

Why did you attend the event?

I wanted to learn more about networking and how to use LinkedIn to build professional business relations.

Walk me through the event, what were the main highlights?

The event was hosted by Sacha Clark, a business tutor here at the College who founded her own company, & Then Marketing, that offers bespoke LinkedIn mentoring and marketing short courses. Sacha delivered a fantastic webinar that went through the basics of LinkedIn and as well as an example of a profile where she highlighted some key tips to help improve the professionalism of the page.

What top tips did you take from the session?

I think the best tips included advice around using an eye-catching header picture, connecting with people on LinkedIn and the finer details that bring the page to life; such as endorsements and recommendations.

As a second year student, what advice would you give to other students when networking with professionals?

I believe it’s key to show active engagement with professionals and their content, humanity is key! Remember to focus on building an understanding of one another in a genuine and honest way when networking.

After attending the session, how do you know feel about using LinkedIn?

I feel as though I’m more now prepared for using LinkedIn. I’m really quite shocked by how much I’ve learned and I'm now personally looking to re-vamp my entire profile!

Any other comments?

I would just like to recommend Work Fitness events to other students. Preparing to go into the working world can be daunting, but these sessions help give us the key skills we need to succeed.

By Dillon Chuhan