Careers Advice 4 min read

Student to Student: My top tips transitioning to university studies

Emma Devlin

Emma Devlin posted on

My name is Ilona and I’m currently in my second year studying MLaw at Pearson Business School. Here are a few of my tips for transitioning to university.

Going to university is a big step for everyone and transitioning between A-levels and a degree can be daunting and difficult. It is not just learning a new subject, it might be leaving home and exploring a new place, working at a harder capacity than before, meeting new people, or learning to navigate the maze that is the London Underground. Personally, my transition was incredibly smooth, and I mainly put this down to my excitement in wanting to start university. Motivation is a great way to maintain positivity towards the transition and will instantly make the switch seem less daunting.

Studying at Pearson Business School

Before starting university, I studied Maths, Biology and Psychology at A-level. My grades were decent but not exactly what I hoped they would be. However, I still secured my place at Pearson Business School and I am so happy that they accepted my application. I chose to study at Pearson Business School because when I first went to see it at an Open Day, I knew it was the place I wanted to spend the next 3-4 years. The location in London is great, my commute whilst slightly long (I still live at home with my parents and they live on the outskirts of London) from home, still enables a beautiful walk through the centre of London, which I love.

I am currently studying Mlaw and the classes for law are relatively small which provides a cosier and more personal feel to the sessions and enables teaching to be more focused, and, in some classes one-to-one help. The switch from the A-levels I picked to Llaw was not difficult because despite not having legal experience, the research and essay techniques I had learnt during years 12 and 13 came in handy for my first term of exams. Whatever your previous education, you will have learned skills that you will be able to draw upon in higher education.

Making the most out of university studies

My biggest tip for starting university would be to engage fully with all and any opportunities given. Especially in terms of freshers and student experience/work fitness events. Freshers Week is a great way to connect with your future classmates in a less formal setting than your first day of class. This makes your first day in class less daunting as you will have already found someone to sit at the same table as you, someone to talk to and somebody to help you out if you do not understand something. In terms of Student Experience events, this is a great way to meet people that are not on your course and learn new skills.

Regarding Work Fitness Centre events, these are a great way to expand your business network and gain new employability skills. My favourite opportunity was a coding course which was offered for free for people who attend Pearson Business School and was based on campus. It is a skill I now have for life and want to continue expanding. I also met some amazing people which really made it enjoyable.

My tips for working remotely

I have some tips about working from home in these unprecedented times. It was a challenge for all of us, staff included, when the coronavirus pandemic forced us to continue our studies remotely. The biggest challenge when working from home is keeping motivated and engaged. As I already did all of my preparation work for classes at home, I found that I needed to prepare for lectures and seminars in a different space from where I actually had the lectures and seminars. This separated my work-spaces, allowing better concentration and focus.

Another tip would be to embrace the situation. Everyone is in the same boat; everyone is having to adapt to a new situation. Talk to your friends about it and try new things to see what works for you. If you find that something does not work for you, try your best not to become demotivated and persevere, as you will find your flow eventually. Remote learning is not for everyone, I would be the first to say that I want to be back in the classroom, however it is our job to make the best out of a bad situation in a way that will not hinder our academic progress.

If I leave you with one piece of advice it is to be positive and open when starting your transition into your university studies. This is one of the biggest changes of your life and it can be one of the best if you commit to it wholeheartedly.

-Ilona Munn (2nd year MLaw student)