Open Day 3 min read

PBS Virtual Open Days- FAQs

Craig Coutinho

Craig Coutinho posted on

At Pearson College London we have continued to run our Open Days, virtually, via Blackboard Collaborate, the same digital platform our tutors use for their lectures and seminars. The following guide has been created to give you more of an idea about what to expect at one of our Virtual Open Days.  

How long is an Online Open Day?

We've shortened our Virtual Open Days to around 2 hours because we understand that attending online isn't always easy.

"I am so glad I attended this open day. It has excited me and motivated me to be a success in my application.  The mix of meeting the lecturers and current students gave a wider variety of information that was really helpful"- Virtual Open Day Attendee

What should I do if I can only attend from a certain time or need to leave early?

The Open Day schedule will be shared with you in advance, so that you can drop in to the sessions that you want to and leave early if you need to. We would, however, recommend that you try and attend the full Open Day because you can find out lots of useful information during the entire event.

How can I join?

Step 1- The link will be available on the 'Open Day essentials' page so click the link and it will direct you to the Blackboard Collaborate platform.

Step 2- Enter your first name and surname.

Step 3- Once you have entered the room, sit back and wait for the event to start! Feel free to say 'hello' in the chat and let us know which subject you are interested in.

What can I expect at an Virtual Open Day?

The sessions usually consist of a Welcome Talk, Introduction to Pearson College London, Subject Talks, Degree Apprenticeships Talk and a Q&A panel discussion consisting of current students, alumni and academics. You will be able to find out more about our courses, find out how we work with a whole host of Industry Partners and get your questions answered by our team.

Do I need to do any preparation?

Prior to the event, you will receive a Virtual Open Day Essentials Pack, filled with plenty of information for you to look through before you come along to the Open Day. Check out the essential information, take a look around our virtual campus with our virtual tours and prepare any questions you may have for students, alumni or staff.

Will there be breaks?

Yes, of course! There will be a breaks in between the sessions. The host of the session will announce what time the next session will start and it will be displayed on the screen. We'll keep the breaks short so that we can stick to the schedule timings.

What are the Online Housekeeping rules- do cameras need to be on and do I need to speak/participate?

We use Blackboard Collaborate for our Virtual Open Days so your camera will be turned off and your mic will be muted, but we encourage you to participate throughout and ask questions. As well as the members of our team hosting the session, there are other members of staff who can answer your questions throughout and help you if you have any technical issues and queries.

Can my parents join?

Yes, parents can attend our Virtual Open Day events and we encourage them to attend to find out more about us and ask questions.

What's the difference between an Open Day and a Taster Day?

What should I do if I am interested in more than one course?

You will only be able to attend one of the subject talks on the day, so have a look and see which course you might be most interested in studying. If you still can't decide, join us at our next Taster Day.

My question hasn't been answered, will I get a response?

Yes, we will answer your questions throughout but if we do miss your question then we will email you with a response.

I have some more questions which I forgot to ask?

Feel free to contact us via phone or email and you can also chat to some of our student ambassadors and alumni.

"I love the radiant and positive atmosphere being set by both the faculty and the alumni/ students. It honestly seems to be unique and outstanding in some way. Thank you all so much for making these enriching sessions possible for us all."- Online Open Day Attendee

If you would like to sign up to our next Open Day, then sign up on this webpage.

PBS Virtual Open Days- FAQs