“Reading is the gateway skill that makes all other learning possible” - Barack Obama
If you’re looking for ways to prepare ahead of starting your degree in Professional Accounting in Business at Pearson College London, take a look at our recommended book below, as well as some other materials to give you a taste of studying Accountancy at degree level.
Our top recommendation
Accounting and Finance: An Introduction (9th ed) by Eddie McLaney And Peter Atrill is a great introduction into financial and management accounting in a readable way. It’s a perfect place to start before enrolling on our Accounting course at Pearson Business School and exploring topics in much more depth.
In addition to Accounting and Finance: An Introduction, you may also want to take a look at the magazine and podcasts suggested below:
- PQ Magazine - An Accountancy magazine with some interesting financial news items
- Freakonomics Radio - A fun weekly economics based podcast
- ACCA Student Podcasts - Useful information from the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA). The ‘How to be a Future Ready Accountant’ podcast is a great place to start!
Transitioning to degree level study
The move university studies can be tricky in terms of academic writing, critical thinking and study skills. Although the books mentioned above can help give you a flavour of the course, we have some recommendations to help in transitioning to degree level studies.
- The Study Skills Handbook - by Stella Cottrell
- Cite Them Right: the essential referencing guide - by Richard Pears and Graham Shield
- Writing for University - by Jeanne Godfrey