Pearson Business School 3 min read

Keeping fit during lockdown

Eleni Katsimberis posted on

While the country has been on a lock down due to Covid-19, Pearson College London has become remote. For the past month, I have been leading fitness sessions during lunch hours for Pearson College London staff and created a workout challenge for Pearson College London students. In this article, I discuss the benefits of exercise during lockdown and I provide tips on how to stay fit and motivated.

Keeping active during this time is extremely important and comes with many benefits. Why start tomorrow when you can start today?

How I have contributed to the team

Physical exercise improves mental health, and with my personal training background, I wanted to help others keep motivated during this time.

I decided to offer Pearson College London staff 30-minute workout sessions twice a week. I have also shared a challenge from my personal training Instagram account for students to try.

These short sessions have been hugely beneficial for Pearson College London as they help to reduce levels of stress, help people keep active during lockdown, are short and easy to fit into a busy schedule and also help reduce body aches from sitting inside all day.

The live sessions have brought us together as a team during this pandemic as we have been working out together.

Photo by Jonathan Borba / Unsplash

How to stay motivated during quarantine

Working out releases happy hormones, which are chemicals called endorphins and dopamine. Endorphins help to boost your mood and improve self-esteem and dopamine is the one of the “feel good” chemicals found in the brain.

Regular exercise is scientifically proven to:

• Improve sleep
  • Reduce stress
  • Help reduce anxiety and depression.

As well as this, regular exercise is proven to improve physical health by:

• Reducing body fat
  • Increasing energy levels
  • Lowering blood pressure
  • Increasing the speed of the metabolism
  • Strengthening the heart
  • Strengthening the bones.

Covid-19 has caused many people’s lifestyles and habits to change. This change can be difficult, but I believe that working out and keeping fit can help individuals in many ways.

Photo by Jamie Street / Unsplash

How to keep fit during quarantine

As gyms are closed, it can be hard and frustrating for people to have to workout from home. Being able to try out different styles of working out and finding the one that suits you best will help you stay motivated and keen to keep it up.

Some different exercise types you can do at home are HIIT (high intensity interval training), dancing, walking, yoga, Pilates, bodyweight strength sessions and running.

One of our Degree Apprentices who attended the live fitness sessions with me said that:

“Eleni's fitness sessions have been a fantastic way to keep active during the Covid-19 lockdown since gyms have had to close. The short but intense sessions also work flexibly around work schedules, so are perfect to fit in during lunch breaks!"

By following a plan, you will be able to set yourself fitness goals for the week or month. By ticking off each workout you accomplish, you will begin to love the process even more!

My top 4 tips for keeping fit during quarantine:

1. Just get started! Getting started on that first exercise is all you need to do, try to stop procrastinating!
  2. Put on your favourite music to help you get into the mood while warming up
  3. Follow a programme – having a programme to follow can help you get started and keep motivated as it sets out a goal for the week/day
  4. You don’t need to workout for hours a day, even a 15-20-minute workout is efficient as it gets blood flowing into your muscles and it will help boost your mood.

-By Eleni Katsimberis (1st year Degree Apprentice at Pearson College London)

Keeping fit during lockdown