Accounting 1 min read

My role as an Industry Representative - Waisale Basiyalo

Emma Devlin

Emma Devlin posted on

What skills did you gain being an industry rep?

I gained more confidence and networking skills talking to strangers helping me more to start conversations and sustain them easier.

I was able to introduce a speaker and it was hard however after getting feedback and advice from Lisa I understood what to do better and went about the next opportunity with a different approach to break the ice and talk to the industry person.

What opportunities were you given being a part of this scheme?

• Introducing speakers and being a part of industry interviews.
  • Knowing first hand the students that were going to join the January cohort as we were a part of their Welcome day.
  • Being aware of what is going on and promoting the events that the TD team have on engaging a wider audience.

What made you become an industry rep?

It was a general interest as I was an ambassador from my college, being at the forefront with industry events and helping out allowed me more exposure with people which I very much enjoyed.

The November industry day when we were given the challenge to innovate education on how to better cater education to university students. My team went on a virtual reality and having a fixed office in London which was very appealing to students as it was mobile.

What is the one piece of advice you would give to a student about becoming an industry rep?

Just have the confidence to do it as the university will help you build your skills. It will also help you in the future to give you confidence to excel in whatever you want to do.

-By Waisale Basiyalo (1st year Professional Accounting and Business student)