Pearson Business School 2 min read

My experience at an Accounting Taster Day

Emma Devlin

Emma Devlin posted on

I booked my place at an Accounting Taster Day to find out more about what studying Accounting would really be like. The first part of the day was a Welcome Talk, outlining what makes Pearson Business School unique, and introducing the schedule for the day.

The schedule for my Accounting Taster Day is shown below:

TASTER-DAY-SCHEDULE

What I learned

An interesting fact that I learned was the difference between accreditations and credits, discussed right after the Welcome Talk. In the Accounting course there are accreditations, which are exceptions for different accounting boards’ exams, such as the ACCA (which I did not know about prior to the taster day); while credits were essentially what was needed to pass the year.

What I enjoyed

Out of all the sessions that were available in the Taster Day, the most enjoyable in my opinion was definitely the taster lecture/seminar. The session was titled “Do the numbers add up?”, and it gave me what a chance to see what a university level session would be like.

We were put into groups and began to discuss the possible solutions about the topic and in the end we presented our arguments to the room. I also enjoyed the career development session led by the talent development team, as it informed me about the many possible careers in accounting, which are not limited to being an accountant.

There was also an opportunity for me to meet those already a part of the Accounting department at Pearson Business School (both tutors and current students) and during lunch we were given the chance to network and ask questions.

PTAIT_20170927_9313

Why Pearson Business School?

For me the session that solidified my decision to put Pearson Business School as my first choice on UCAS was the environment. Firstly, the college is at the heart of Central London, which meant it was easy for me to travel to and from, as well as being at the centre of one of the world’s major trade and business centres.

Secondly, the environment inside Pearson Business School is very unique, which I was able to see during the Taster Day (for example the warm atmosphere and small class sizes created a very welcoming feel). I could see students trusting their lecturers and were able to rely on them.

Another factor were the lecturers, this is because they are all chartered accountants and therefore they know what it would take to get to that career path.

Why not see it for yourself? You can book your place at the next Pearson Business School Accounting Taster Day today.

By Vivian Pang (2nd year Accounting student)