Pearson Business School 2 min read

Interview with Degree Apprentice Leanne from Transport For London

Emma Devlin

Emma Devlin posted on

We sat down with current Degree Apprentice Leanne Richards to ask her what life is like as a Degree Apprentice working for TFL.

What is your role at TFL?

Currently I am working in the London Underground Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) team.

What tasks do you to in your day-to-day job role?

Many different tasks, from representing the HSE team at meetings to managing the updates of important HSE documents which TfL must abide by.

How many days per week are you studying towards your degree?

It depends, some days I will spread my learning over the week and others I will do more intensive work over a day or two.

What is your favorite part about working for TFL?

My favourite part about working for TFL so far is understanding how complex the transport system is, as well as meeting teams that many people, even in the business, didn't know exist.

Photo by M. B. M. / Unsplash

How did you find out about the degree apprenticeship opportunity?

I have family and friends who work at TFL and they recommended this scheme when they found out I was looking into applying for a Degree Apprenticeship.

Can you still get involved in student life (e.g. events and societies)?

Yes, even though on week days it can be hard as I have to get up early the next morning, but there are events on weekends so everyone is included.

What has been the highlight of your Degree Apprenticeship so far?

I thoroughly enjoyed being a supervisor at Bank/Monument station and gaining first hand experience in customer service. I have also enjoyed learning to manage my time more effectively through both studying and working.

What advice would you give to someone applying for apprenticeship schemes?

Do not give up! Before I applied to TFL, I applied to two other degree apprenticeships and got rejected. I was very upset at first and close to throwing in the towel, but I'm very glad I didn't otherwise I wouldn't have this amazing experience.

Mundane
Photo by Rasheed Kemy / Unsplash

To find out more about Degree Apprenticeships at Pearson College London, visit our website.