Pearson Business School 3 min read

Interview with Ayshea O'Brien - Law tutor

Emma Devlin

Emma Devlin posted on

How did you get into Law?

I’ve always been interested in Law since I was 9 years old. I had a family friend who was a lawyer and I wanted to be just like her. She gave me a huge pile of law books to read (which I did!) and I knew that was the career for me.

What would you say is the best thing about your subject?

My favourite part of the subject as a whole is being able to see things from different perspectives, and being able to look at a very complicated set of facts and be able to boil it down to two or three very simple issues.

My favourite topic within Law would be Wills and Administration of Estates because it involves lots of different areas of Law including Family Law, Contract Law, Land Law and more.

An old book store from the city of Bilbao.
Photo by Iñaki del Olmo / Unsplash

What would you recommend to prospective students for them to stand out in their UCAS application?

1. Throughout your whole application it is essential to have a good command of English, including spelling, grammar and punctuation. There’s no excuse for poor spelling when Google can do it for you!

2. In your Personal Statement don’t just say why you’re interested in Law or why you want to study it, but what you can bring to the subject. For example, what skills can you bring to the legal field? Are you very analytical, or do you have great attention to detail?

3. As well as skills relevant to the profession, I also like to see mentions of any other skills you may have. For example, if you can speak another language it could open a lot more doors for you, or you may even want to consider a combined degree.

4. In your Personal Statement you should also mention any personal or professional (e.g. at school) moments where you’ve experienced adversity and how you have dealt with that to show that you can think outside the box.

5. Remember to include any work experience you may have gained, especially if you have done anything in the legal profession as this shows that you’ve been in the environment and know what is involved and what you’re getting into.

6. Any extra-curricular activities you include in your Personal Statement must link to the subject you’re applying for and how this could help you when forging your career in Law - everything you include needs to be relevant and included for a reason!

7. Don’t write your Personal Statement the night before! You’ll need to work on redrafting it, which is a great skill in itself as this is something you will do in the real world.

What’s the one thing you wish you knew when you were applying for your degree?

I wish I’d have had more commercial awareness. Knowledge of business is very useful and can take you a long way in your career in Law.

Photo shoot of two young lawyers
Photo by Mateus Campos Felipe / Unsplash

Should I say the same thing in my interview as I have said in my personal statement?

Don’t read or list out your Personal Statement as I will have already read it! Make sure you’re picking up on your key points and elaborating on them e.g. a problem or issue you’ve faced, what skills this has given you, and how this matches to the course you want to study.

Make a list of skills that you think would make a good lawyer, and make sure that you illustrate these as best as possible during your interview.

Also, if you’ve studied A-Level Law don’t lean on this too heavily as studying Law at degree level is very different.

Any final tips?

If you’ve never studied Law before and you’re not sure if it’s the right course for you, it would be helpful for you to come along to a Taster Day as it will help you think about Law in a whole different light. Even if you’ve studied Law already, it’s a great chance to see what learning it at degree level is really like.