Apprenticeships 2 min read

Life as a Degree Apprentice month 17

Katie Fiddaman

Katie Fiddaman posted on

I have now been a degree apprentice for almost a year and a half; and I know it sounds cliche but I can still remember my first day like it was yesterday. The time has flown by and this month, I have been involved in some more interesting things.

Meeting with Head of Pearson UK Higher Education

At the start of the month, I was invited to a meeting with the Executive Board of Pearson College and the Head of Pearson UK Higher Education. The idea behind the meeting was to show him what we are doing here and how it contributes to Pearson Plc as a whole.

My role in the meeting was to represent degree apprentices, as well as Pearson Business School degrees. the Head of Pearson UK Higher Education asked me lots of questions about my role and life as a degree apprentice. It was great to network with this influential figure within the business.

Pearson Business School Open Day

I supported the Events Team with the Pearson Business School Undergraduate Open Day this month. This involved speaking to guests about degree apprenticeship programmes and the BA (Hons) Business Management degree, as well as taking part in the question and answer session at the end of the Degree Apprentice Talk at the open day.

This is a great way to reflect and promote the great programme that I am involved in; and generally, it is received really well by attendees that there are degree apprentices present to speak about their experiences.

Shadowing my Senior Mentor

My senior mentor at Pearson Plc is Senior Vice President for English Assessment and we meet bi-monthly to discuss my career progressions. However, this month, I was able to spend a full working day shadowing her to see what it is like to work in a high position within a FTSE 100 company.

I attended meetings about all the different elements of the business such as management meetings, strategy meetings and apprenticeship meetings. It was great to meet individuals from across the business that I had never come across before, as well as to see the business from a higher level and to reflect upon my contribution to the business.

Law Presentation

Finally, as part of my degree, this month we have to submit a group presentation for Introduction to Contract Law which is based around a client briefing video. This has been a mixed process as my group are really willing to get involved but liaising with a group to create a video presentation when you all work full-time is not the easiest thing to do.

All in all, it's been a great month and has really allowed me to reflect on my role.

To find out more about Pearson College London's degree apprenticeships, visit the Pearson College London website.

Life as a Degree Apprentice month 17