Pearson Business School 2 min read

My internship at Pearson's Legal Department

Tiayanna Lall

Tiayanna Lall posted on

Too hard? That was the first thought that came into my head when I initially found out that I was going to be interning at Pearson’s Legal Department, as part of Pearson Business School's Guaranteed Internship Scheme. I had no idea how to compare contracts or be involved in a current investigation.

When I initially started I only had three weeks to showcase what I could do but by the end of it they were asking me to come back for a few more weeks as they liked my method to working out a problem!

Six weeks later, I have successfully completed both of those tasks and done more. I couldn’t have done it without the handy support of the Data Protection Team, the Investigation team, the work mentors and most importantly my line manager, Susanna King-Christopher. There were so many things that we have contributed to and as a result of all of these training opportunities not only have I described this as the best six weeks of my life but also a stepping stone to realising what I want to do as a career.

tiayanna-picture-for-blog

Here are few tips for those of you who are about to start internships:

1. Be punctual. It is always expected of you to be on time and prepared for the day ahead
  2. Be attentive. This is what will make you stand out from the crowd as well as help you focus on the task ahead.
  3. Network. It is always good to get to know the people you are working with. Even approaching them and setting up a lunch meeting with them will show initiative and drive,
  4. Make a good first impression. Needless to say that first impressions are what people remember you for, so you should treat everyday as if it were your first. What I mean by this is don't get stuck in a rut but be alert, ask a range of questions and be aware of everything that is going on.
  5. Don't be shy to ask for further opportunities. My time at my internship showed me that I wouldn't have immersed myself fully into the days ahead if I hadn't asked about different opportunities. What you have to realise is that as well as it is someone telling you what to do you can just as easily ask if you could sit in a meeting or work in a different department.
  6. Have fun. It's easy to put a lot of pressure on yourself in tenuous situations, however don't stress yourself out as it is a learning experience. The more relaxed you become then you are able to look at a situation and see a solution much more easily.

I do hope these tips were informative. For those of you about to start an internship good luck and take all the tips to heart. For those that are looking for internships, our internships team can assist in finding you one, as long as you meet the elegibility requirements for the Guaranteed Internship Scheme!

tiayanna-picture-for-blog-2

-By Tiayanna Lall (3rd year Business Management Student)