Pearson Business School 1 min read

My first week on the Code First: Girls course

Ellie Carrick posted on

I decided to take part in the ‘Code First: Girls’ coding course that the PCSA (Pearson College Student Association) were holding at Pearson College London as I knew that this is a skill that employers are currently looking for and a desirable skill to have. The 8 week long course was free to apply for, and is normally worth over £600!

I was a bit nervous at first because I am honestly the WORST with technology and only really have what I would call a basic understanding of tech - I can use all the typical programmes i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and I can work out how to do something if I need to but it doesn’t come naturally to me.

The fact that my previous coding knowledge is extremely basic (well, basically non-existent) meant I was extremely apprehensive about going, and if I would understand anything they were talking about. However, I wasn’t the only one that felt like this - it soon became apparent that I was not alone and I was on the same wavelength as most other people! Phew!

I really enjoyed the first week of the course as the people teaching the course broke everything down into easy steps and demonstrated it in ways we could all understand. They also offered a lot of help when we were set our own tasks to complete. To my surprise, by the end of the lesson, I had coded my first webpage and I now know how to read basic HTML code! I am very excited for the lesson next week and to see where my skills will progress!

PTAIT_20171006_0024