Apprenticeships 3 min read

My International Rotational Degree Apprenticeship placement at the Pearson Plc office in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Katie Fiddaman

Katie Fiddaman posted on

By Jasmine Okoye, Degree Apprentice, Pearson College London, Pearson PLC

Hi, I’m Jasmine Okoye and I’m a Pearson Degree Apprentice on the International Rotational Degree Apprenticeship programme at Pearson College London.

Where are you working?

I am currently placed in Pearson Financial Services in Belfast for 4 weeks for my International Rotational Degree Apprenticeship placement.

What is your job role?

My job role here is an Operational Financial Analyst. I work alongside the Accounts Payable team and the Accounts Receivable team. The team here are an amazing bunch. I went out to lunch on my first day and I was able to mingle with the team and get to know them better, as I was very nervous and anxious on my first day, so it helped a lot.
jasmine-3

What was that first day like?

On my first day, I was exposed to so many new things which felt like an information overload, but it was still great to understand what the team does. My job definitely differs from my job role in London. I am exposed to many different policies here and have to learn about and understand the many different accounts. Whereas in London, I help assist a platform for students to grow their personal development and collect content for alumni success stories.

What have you been doing outside of work?

Outside of work, I have been to the Grand Opera Theatre to watch Fame which was amazing! You would think going by yourself to watch these things is boring, but you should try it! As my apartment is a 20 minute walk from the city centre, I have been to Victoria Square which is like the UK's Westfield; I also went to watch The Lion King as I still had not watched it. I visited the Europa Hotel; the place is amazing, it reminds me of the Titanic's dinner setting, with the pianos, the bar and the waitresses.
jasmine-titanic

During the bank holiday weekend I was cooking away in my apartment. I really wanted to bake a cake, so I had a nice bike ride to Tesco's and went past some beautiful lakes and parks enroute which I will definitely visit again before I leave. I made Carrot cake by the way!
jasmine-europa-hotel

My family are coming over for this weekend, so we plan to visit the Titanic museum, we may go to Dublin, but we are definitely going to go on the Hop on Hop off buses in Belfast, to see more of the city.
Jasmine-dublin

How do you think this experience will help you?

Going forward, this experience will have a positive impact on my degree apprenticeship as I will have experience in a completely different sector within Pearson, especially something that I also have a passion for which is Finance. This opportunity is amazing and I thank Pearson for giving me this opportunity to explore the company and learn, as now I have a taste of what it is like as an Operational Finance Analyst for a global company - that's not something that everyone can put on their CV.
Dublin-Castle