Clearing 3 min read

How clearing shaped my future

Donally Gonsalves posted on

There is often a negative view of students who apply through clearing, thinking they got through with bad A-Level grades, or got into the least popular courses etc. Firstly, this is not true, there are multiple reasons why students choose to go through clearing as well as there are multiple reasons why universities offer clearing spaces.

Photo by Felipe Furtado / Unsplash

My expereince

My own personal experience with clearing is possibly a little different to what you might have heard in the past. I had originally gone through the traditional UCAS application like thousands of other students, putting together my personal statement and information into the UCAS database. Around the time I finished my A-Levels, Degree Apprenticeships rose in popularity and in particular I was interested in joining the Rotational Degree Apprenticeship offered by Pearson College London. This was a unique opportunity to gain practical experience working for a company, while having your professional degree qualifications paid for. I had reached the last round in the application process, after which I found I was unsuccessful to get into the program. However, as an alternative, I was offered a place at Pearson College London as a full-time Business Management student with a partial fee waiver.

This was a pivotal moment in my life where I could decide to go down the traditional degree route, learning from a textbook and being at the heart of a social hub at university, or be part of a new concept for higher education, enter something different where I was able to learn within a FTSE 100 company from industry professionals themselves and gain first-hand experience. I weighed the options with a pros and cons sheet and found that some bullet points weighed more importance to me. One of the most important opportunities was the ability to be in London, attending industry days, networking with working professionals, and actively participating in resolving issues faced by the company, which appealed to me a lot more than opening a textbook and learning from a lecturer. Which is why for any students stuck in a similar situation as me I have shared a few tips that were instrumental in making my own decision to join Pearson College London as a student through clearing.

Photo by You X Ventures / Unsplash

My top tips for making your decision:

• Weigh up your options out and decide what's most important to you (is it the location of the institution? The modules of the course? Or unique opportunities on offer, such as Pearson Business School’s guaranteed internships?)
  • Recognise that you will have to give up on some things to gain something else
  • Make an informed decision, get all the questions you want answered - remember the people who are there to help are only a phone call or an email away
  • You won't know what the best decision is but you should trust your gut instinct
  • Don't let other people’s personal opinions cloud your judgement. At the end of the day only you know what's best for you
  • Try not to stress. I know it’s easier said than done, but everything will work out okay!

If you would like to know more about the clearing 2019 application process, visit Pearson College London for help or read some more student blogs for great tips and advice about the clearing process, to help you make an informed decision.

How clearing shaped my future