Clearing 4 min read

Your Guide to Clearing 2019

Katie Fiddaman

Katie Fiddaman posted on

Clearing… a process that conjures up feelings of uncertainty and reluctance. It is important to remember that going into clearing is not the end of the world… In fact, if you follow our steps below, you will glide through clearing with ease.

What is Clearing?

Clearing is how unis and colleges fill any places they still have on their courses. You find courses (with vacancies) that interest you, and contact universities or colleges directly, to see if they will offer you a place.

From 5th July to 23rd October, you can apply for a course using Clearing if you’re not already holding an offer from a university or college, and the course still has places.

I came to Pearson College London through clearing and one thing I realised as soon as I moved here was that it was very entrepreneurial. Many of the students were already very business savvy and came to the university with great ideas, so I guess I could say it was a great environment to be in. Many of the lecturers were also entrepreneurs who had started their own businesses which meant I could ask for advice and receive support which was great. I’m a firm believer that people are the most important thing and I was lucky enough to meet some great people at Pearson College London. - Oliver Roha Anwar, Pearson Business School graduate and Founder of ROANWAR FITNESS

cleairng-2019

You can use Clearing if:

• you’re applying after 30th June
  • you didn’t receive any offers (or none you wanted to accept)
  • you didn’t meet the conditions of your offers

"Entering Clearing was a very stressful time, so it was extremely beneficial to have help and support. I was able to turn to my head of sixth form who offered her advice during this time, as well as being able to speak to the registry team at Pearson College London which made the process less stressful and seamless." Firyal Lodhi, Law student, Pearson College London

Why might you be in clearing?

Something you have to understand is that entering into clearing does not make you a failure. There are a few reasons why you might be in clearing:

• You didn’t get the entry grades required for your chosen course.
  • You decide later on in the year that you want to go to university.
  • You decide that you want to change your course.

One of our Pearson Business School students that went through clearing, David Porter, shares his clearing experience:

"After being accepted at the University of Edinburgh, I spent one-year studying Veterinary Medicine. However, it was at this point that I came to the difficult decision that it wasn’t the right career choice for me. Therefore, I decided to pursue my passion for business and began my search for degree-courses available through clearing."

Advice for clearing
If you have a feeling that you might be in clearing, here’s what to do before results day:

• Research universities you're interested in and the courses that they offer.
  • Note down the course names and telephone numbers.
  • Make sure you’ve got your UCAS ID number.

If you find yourself in clearing, here’s what to do on the day:

1. Go to the UCAS website and go to ‘Find Clearing Vacancies’ – you can then search for universities that offer your course.
  2. Total up your UCAS points using their online tariffs and have your qualifications and grades ready for any questions.
  3. Call up universities, tell them your UCAS ID Number, how many UCAS points you have and the course you’re interested in. Make sure you prepare some questions in relation to accommodation, modules and things to do in the town where the university is located, as it’s your chance to quiz them, to find out if it’s the right institution for you. (Make sure you have a pen and paper for this to note down any details and ensure that you express your interest to attend that university.)
  4. Once you have been accepted, add the course back into your UCAS Track.
  5. Attend a clearing open day at your chosen the university you chose: this is an excellent opportunity to meet people in the same position as you and explore the university and its facilities first-hand.
  6. Congratulations, you survived clearing!

image

At Pearson College London we offer undergraduate degrees in business management, enterprise, accountancy, marketing and law with Pearson Business School and degrees in Animation, Games and VFX with Escape Studios. All of our degrees are designed, developed and delivered with our industry partners, to immerse you in the real world of work from day one.

"Make an informed decision, get all the questions you want answered - remember the people who are there to help are only a phone call or an email away." - Donally Gonsalves, 2nd Year Business Management Student

To apply through clearing to Pearson College London, visit the clearing hub or come to our Clearing Open Day.

Your Guide to Clearing 2019