Escape Studios 4 min read

Miguel Teixeira's Internship at Crater Studios

Katie Fiddaman

Katie Fiddaman posted on

Miguel is currently in Belgrade, Serbia, finishing a summer internship at Crater Studios. It was a two month programme, and Miguel is one of the first students to complete this programme in Serbia. Miguel has shared his experiences of the internship programme...

Tell us a little bit about Crater Studios

Crater Studios is in Dorcol, Belgrade, Serbia, which is well known for its lively nightlife atmosphere and its historical sites. It is surrounded by two beautiful rivers, the Danube and the Sava. Here you can encounter all kinds of lifestyles, from people running, cycling, walking to people having a great time with friends and family at restaurants located on the river banks. One of the most beautiful views, highly recommended by friends and myself, is from the top of the Belgrade Fortress at sunset during summer. From here we can see the Zemunski Kej island, New Belgrade and the meeting of the rivers and at sunset all the colours just make you feel hypnotised by the amazing view.

In addition to its beautiful nature, the rich nightlife, one thing that I will not forget is the delicious food, specially Cevapcic, my favourite. Cevapcic is rolled minced meat seasoned with spices which is served with bread to which you can add extra toppings according to your taste. It is D.e.l.i.c.i.o.u.s.

What was your experience at Crater Studios like?

My experience at Crater Studios as an intern so far has been an unforgettable one. I have had the unique opportunity to meet and work with a highly skilled team, who are always ready to help, share knowledge and give valuable feedback about any work aspect. May I also add that their focus level is unbeatable; they know what to do and how it is done. If you ever work at Crater Studios, be prepared to put your skills to the test because here you will really learn how all the work is done in the studio, how the pipeline organises everyone's workflow to maximise productivity.

You will have the amazing opportunity to work on real industry projects, but only if you try your best, starting from day one. When applying your skills on internship projects given by the VFX Supervisor, you will have the chance to show your passion for animation, compositing, matte painting, texturing or modelling, and if the Team see in you any potential skill they need, they will literally push you to the limit, exploring your talent to the maximum.

What did you learn from the internship?

This internship pushed me more than I could have ever imagined, not only as a student stepping into the industry but also personally, it made me stronger.
During these two months I made new friends, discovered new places, learnt so much... and I even had the opportunity to watch films at Crater Studios Home Cinema, something I dreamt of.

I managed to learn a little Serbian, struggling at times, although to my astonishment almost everyone spoke a little English. Whenever I asked how they learnt it, the majority answered from T.V.

I had the amazing opportunity to take part in one of the greatest music festivals in the world, the EXIT. What made this a special experience was the fact that it was my first ever major music festival. How can I describe it? It was jaw dropping! It took place in a Fortress Novi Sad, where you have the choice to see and listen to different types of music: rock, reggae, Latino, bass, pop, punk rock, disco, techno and others… Just walking by the different stages, listening to the different beats and watching the people having a great time made my experience even greater.

Time went by so fast as if it were just a week holiday, where I enjoyed myself so much. where time flew by and I really wished that I was Doctor Strange so that I could make time go slower.

What advice would you give to other interns?

While working on a project and you find yourself stuck with a problem, don't be shy to ask for help. Search for solutions online and if after twenty minutes you can't find it, just call one member of the team to help you. I went through tough times with my shyness, but I’ve learned the lesson. You can do it!

Would you recommend this internship to others?

Hell Yeah! Thank you, Crater Studios and Escape Studios, for this unforgettable journey.

20190604_104722

For more information about our industry connections at Escape Studios, visit the Pearson College London website. Interested in a course to get you into the creative industries? Take a look at the Escape Studios course list today!