Escape Studios 2 min read

Ricardo Musch: Escape Studios Success Story of the Month

Katie Fiddaman

Katie Fiddaman posted on

Ricardo Musch studied the Compositing for Professionals course for 18 weeks at Escape Studios. He has now finished working on Men in Black: International as an on-set compositing supervisor. The film was released in early June. Ricardo has worked for multiple companies such as One of Us, Stereo D, Axis VFX, MPC, Territory Studio Ltd, Cinesite, Sony and now Lola Post Production Ltd as a Senior Compositor. Ricardo has shared with us his success story, telling us about his adventure at Escape Studios!

How did studying at Escape Studios help you into the world of VFX?

By having a full on course taught by industry professionals you certainly get a grip of how the industry works (and what they expect from you) very quickly. You learn tricks and get contacts. Contacts are worth a fortune in this business.

What are you working on at the moment? And what have you previously worked on?

I've just had a much needed skiing break after a very busy year. I've comp supervised a TV film at Darkside Studios and worked on X-Men: Apocalypse and Sully at MPC Montreal. But of course the highlight of the last year/year and a half was working on Jungle Book at MPC London.

What were you doing before you started your course at Escape Studios?

I worked on some freelance VFX/Compositing jobs using After Effects. But I really wanted to work on the bigger stuff and that meant going to either London, LA or Vancouver.

So I started seriously looking into these options and retraining into Nuke. I visited Escape Studios Open days twice and meanwhile I worked in IT / Business IT solutions. That Experience helped me a lot in my career as I'm quite technical, it helps me when I'm building VFX pipelines.

How quickly after completing your course did you secure your first job?

Within 2 months after completing my course me, and some fellow escapees, landed an internship at Prime Focus Film. Fun times!

What lessons have you learnt during your time studying and your time working in VFX?

You need to work hard, be friendly, be humble but know how to sell yourself. Share the knowledge, keep learning and help others. These are the ingredients to having a nice career in VFX.

What is your advice for those considering entering the industry?

Watch a lot of behind the scenes documentary's, find a training institute like Escape, network (it’s the most important thing) and show that you are interested. Sometimes it doesn't necessarily matter if you haven’t got a certain skill yet, if you show that you want to learn it and are reliable you will get the job because you are entrusted to succeed.

If you had to sum up your time at Escape Studios in one word, what would it be and why?

Fan-VFX-tastic! :)

You meet a lot of like minded people, have a lot of talks, attend lessons and have fun with them and the tutors, create exciting imagery and learn a lot.

"At Escape Studios, you learn tricks and get contacts. Contacts are worth a fortune in this business." - Ricardo Musch - Compositing Alumni

What's your favourite movie and why?

At the moment I've got to say Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

Watching the Special Edition in cinema when I was 7 years old made me want to work in Visual Effects. Rogue One brings me back to when I was 7 and excited about seeing a Star Destoyer, Darth Vader and the Death Star...

For more visual effects success stories, visit the Escape Studios Success Stories page on the website.