Pearson Business School 3 min read

My typical week as a Law student

Emma Devlin

Emma Devlin posted on

So, i’m guessing if you’re reading this you’re wondering what my life as a Law student is like at Pearson Business School. Well, i have written this blog post so you don’t have to wonder any longer. I will give you an overview as to what an average week looks like for me and how I am able to manage my time.

Below is an imagine of my weekly timetable as a Law student, term 1 - first year.

law-week

I have 4 lectures per week as I study 4 modules per term. Each lecture is followed by a seminar, which is a more interactive class of about 15 students. In these seminars we get the chance to work in small groups and complete tasks which challenge us and prepare us for what our exams will test us on. This is mostly done through group debates, or practise questions.

As most people know, Law is mostly exam based assessments, however there are the occasional projects and presentations that must be completed every term. Last term, I was working on a group project in which we were to present our findings on whether or not we believed the British constitution to be codified - which simply means written. So you will find that you cover a range of skills over the course, from team work, to presentation skills, and this is just me speaking as a first year student.

Lastly the question that many people constantly ask, how do you manage your time? I know it’s much easier said than done, but it starts with your priorities. I know how difficult it can be to set these straight, as I have a part time job. I manage my time by trying to get as much work as I can done on the days I come in for my lectures/seminars. This is so that I still have time to take part in other events hosted by Pearson Business School. At Pearson Business School we always have weekly opportunities to take part in industry engagement, so it’s nice to be able to make time to attend these.

PTAIT_20161003_3296

To end, I've decided to give you 3 main tips to how I manage my studies:

1. Complete all tasks as soon as you recieve it. If this isn't the most important thing to so then I don’t know what is. In other words avoid procrastination! What happens is we all say we’ll do it later and later comes and we still havent started, then before you know it you’ve got a pile of work to catch up on. Some find that making timetables or planning out study sessions helps a lot.

2. Don’t wait until you're completely lost before you ask for help, if you don’t understand anything from the get go, ask straight away. Luckily for us at Pearson Business School, we have recorded lectures so if your unsure of something you learnt in a lecture, go watch and watch over it again. It is also a chance for you to actively take part.

3. Turn up to lectures. This might seem obvious, but many people take advantage of the fact that the lectures are recorded. What some fail to realise is that it’s easier to hear it first in the lecture where you can ask any questions if your unsure.

I hope this helped you to gain a better understanding of what it’s like being a Law student at Pearson Business School and feel free to reach out if you still have questions.

For more information, take a look at the Law degrees that Pearson Business School offer, or download a version of our Prospectus.

- By Peace Oni (1st year Law with Accounting student)

My typical week as a Law student