Escape Studios 4 min read

Lilian Theodosopoulou's Recent Success

Christian Avigni

Christian Avigni posted on

Lilian, one of our Escapees, has joined Codemasters six months ago as a Trainee Environment Artist. Check out her successes and how she secured the role.

What course did you study?

I was on the full time MA Game Arts course.
IMG_3240-copy

What are you working on at the moment?

Since November I have been working as an environment artist at Codemasters, and I had the pleasure of working on the Dirt Rally 2.0 game that was released earlier this year on February 2019.
lilian-theodosopoulou-pubgeneral-inscene-1

What work are you most proud of working on and was/is your most notable achievement?

Apart from the work I have been doing since getting a job in the industry one of the projects I am proudest being a part of was the group project me and my fellow classmates created for our MA course at escape. We had a brief to create an environment based on the Last of us game but if it was set in London. It was the first environment that I created as part of a team and I was really proud of the outcome but also the development and the skills it taught me while making it. I learned so much from my peers and my tutors in the process and it gave me a more realistic image of what it's like working as part of a team to create environments for games. Our finished environment is something I am proud of especially in the time we had to create it. All in all, this project was the one that pushed me to grow the most and gave me a lot of the skills and knowledge for a job in the industry.
lilian-theodosopoulou-highresscreenshot00008

If you had to sum up your time at Escape Studios in one word, what would it be and why?

I think that word would be "Challenging" but I mean that in a very positive way. When I joined the MA course I didn't have almost any prior knowledge of game design or 3D art, so I felt my skills were being challenged everyday. As a person I really enjoy the opportunity to grow and learn and being pushed outside my comfort zone and this course did exactly that. Although it was intense at times having my tutors and peers supporting me throughout this whole experience made the entire process easier and more fun! There was never a dull moment and I feel that I grew so much in this year and overcame most challenges I faced by the end of the course. It was a very positive experience!
lilian-theodosopoulou-smallassetscollection2

What lessons have you learnt during your time studying and your time working in Games?

Studying in escape taught me how important it is to always develop my knowledge and skills and to always aim to grow as an artist. The games industry moves so fast so expanding the knowledge you already have and keeping up to date with everything new is definitely vital. It was an intense year but this course gave me the skills to move forward and get a job in the industry without having almost any prior knowledge of game design before joining.One of the things I also learned from my time at escape was how important it is to share the knowledge with other people and always get feedback on my work from my tutors or peers. Working in isolation does not help you develop and getting other peoples opinion on your work is essential in getting better as an artist. All the lessons I was taught and the feedback I was given helped me get to where I am now.
lilian-theodosopoulou-scene2

What is your advice for those considering entering the industry?

I guess my advice to anyone considering a career in games would be to make sure you are passionate and enjoy what you are doing. Of course not every single aspect of being a game artist might be as fun, but what I mean is an overall passion and drive to create games and learn more everyday. I always loved games and getting the chance to make them and be part of this industry is something I enjoy very much and even when the tasks get more repetitive or confusing and frustrating I still feel that in the end of the day I am happy to be doing what I am doing and this gives me the drive to grow and become better.
lilian-theodosopoulou-frames-inscene

What's your favourite game and why?

This is a tough one because there are so many different games that I have referred to as "my favourite" over the years and it mostly depends on what I am into playing at the time. So I will say that my most recent favourite game was God of War (2018). I have always enjoyed fantasy games like The Witcher, Horizon Zero Dawn, Shadow of the Colossus (also some of my favourite games) so I knew this was a must play game for me! This game was so well made and so beautiful, the environments and characters were amazing and the story was so well thought through it just tied everything together. The game play was interesting as well and it all made for a really good game overall.
lilian-theodosopoulou-scene910

Lilian Theodosopoulou's Recent Success