Apprenticeships 3 min read

Life as a Degree Apprentice month 11

Katie Fiddaman

Katie Fiddaman posted on

So, I've almost been here for a year now, which has flown by super fast! April has been busy with coursework deadlines and presentations, as well as events and training at work. Here's what my month 11 looked like...

House of Commons

On 1st April, I attended the House of Commons with the South East Young Apprentice Ambassador Network but also on behalf of Pearson College London. This was an event featuring Gillian Keegan, MP for the Chichester constituency and also Apprentice Ambassador within Parliament.
House-of-Commons-1-1

Gillian spoke of her own apprenticeship experiences, as well as inviting experts up onto the stage to talk about the apprenticeship programmes that they run, as well as thought leadership, opinions and progress in the introduction of the new T-Level programmes, another A-Level equivalent that focuses more on vocational education.

It was a great way to both find out more about apprenticeships and T-Levels, but also to network with other apprentices, Members of Parliament, and important figures within education in the UK.
House-of-Commons-2

Team Training

We attended a team training day earlier this month which was a great way to set new strategies about how we can move forward as an effective team. We also had the opportunity to do various exercises in order to ensure we trust one another and were able to work with people that perhaps we had not worked with before.

University Deadlines

This month was the deadline for my Principles of Business Coursework, which feels kind of surreal considering I have been studying this module since September. The module was made up of two coursework pieces, an exam and a presentation. The exam and one of the coursework pieces was due in December and this month, it was time for the deadline of the final coursework piece.

I also had to present my Enterprise project idea with the rest of my group members this month as part of my Principles of Business module. This was after 12 weeks of preparation to prepare and propose a business plan in a presentation. Overall, the presentation went well, so fingers crossed for my final module grade.

Student Takeover

This month I also had to work closely with the Conversion Marketing Team in order to execute the Student Takeover. This included writing some blog content about why students should make Escape Studios a firm choice and also assisting with social media posting and reporting.

The Student Takeover is something that is less serious than our day-to-day content and allows current students to get a chance to profile their stories and experiences across the channels.

Pearson Business School Open Day

This month, I also worked with the events team to support with the first open day for undergraduate students of the year. I supported by talking to prospective students and parents on the degree apprenticeships stand and executing question and answer sessions with students and parents in degree apprenticeship talks. It was a great way to showcase what Pearson College London do and how they run career focused degrees and degree apprenticeship programmes.

YAAN talk

Finally, I volunteered with the YAAN at the end of the month for a talk in the South East about my apprenticeship experience. This was to an assembly of students and teachers. I always enjoy sharing my apprenticeship story and experiences with prospective apprentices to both inspire and inform them of alternative routes into higher education.

For more information about degree apprenticeships, visit the Pearson College London website.

Life as a Degree Apprentice month 11