Code First: Girls is an organisation committed to making changes at grassroots levels with young women who, in a few years, might be making decisions to get into STEM roles.
The course itself was brought to Pearson College London by Jade Mountain, Head of Digital Content Delivery, after she attended a ‘Delivering diversity in technology’ conference back in September 2018. Pearson College London kicked off its first cohort of coding classes in February 2019. The course was oversubscribed, with 80 students applying for 30 places.
In general, the course teaches the students how to build a website:
- GitHub collaboration
- and more (front-end programming).
These languages teach you how to make a website, how to improve its design and how to push it online.
"Our students are already raving about the course, what they’re learning and how the volunteer instructors are being so helpful. I cannot wait to run another cohort later this year – I think Code First: Girls really embodies the very spirit that more organisations should adopt – community-based, outreach, utilising the skills and experience of those to hand and keeping an open-door policy – there’s no prerequisites, qualifications or experience for applicants, just a desire to improve diversity and inclusion in the tech workforce (which, let’s agree, we ALL want!)" - Jade Mountain, Head of Digital Content Delivery at Pearson College London
Why is coding important?
- Basic coding is becoming more desirable by employers.
- Studies show that over the next 5 years an additional 800,000 workers with digital skills will be needed to meet the rising demand of employers in Europe alone.
- Any smart business has their own website and online presences and coding helps you to build these.
- For Escape Studios students specifically, knowing how to code helps create plugins for commonly used software and can help create sounds, images and animations.
Thank you to Jade Mountain for making this happen at Pearson College London and for giving our students this extra opportunity.
To find out more about Pearson College London and our courses, visit the website.