Top Tips 2 min read

Student finance questions - all you need to know!

Katie Fiddaman

Katie Fiddaman posted on

We have put together some frequently asked questions about student finance for you to make sure that you know everything before you go to apply.

1. When should I apply and how long will it take to process the application?

You can apply for student finance even if you don’t have a confirmed place at university or college. There will be a deadline (announced later in 2019) for you to get their money for the start of their course, so make sure you apply before this date. It takes at least six weeks to process applications, so it’s important they apply as soon as possible once the application service opens.

2. When do I get my first payment?

There are three things you have to do before Student Finance England can make the first payment:

• sign and return the declaration
  • enrol on your course so your university or college can tell SFE they are registered
  • be registered with the validating university following enrolment (University of Kent)

SFE then release the first payment into your bank account. The Tuition Fee Loan is paid directly to your university or college.
silver MacBook near papers and plant
Photo by rawpixel / Unsplash

3. How do I know how much I am getting?

Once Student Finance England have assessed your application, you will be sent a Student Finance Entitlement letter to confirm what you can get. You can track the application by logging into your account at: www.gov.uk/studentfinance

4. Do I have to make separate applications for different loans and grants?

You only need to complete one application for Student Finance England (SFE) to assess what Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan, Parents’ Learning Allowance or Adult Dependants’ Grant you can get. If you are applying for other support, such as Disabled Students’ Allowances, express this on the main application and SFE will send you the additional forms.

5. How does the 'household income' work if my parents are divorced?

Student Finance England assess the household income of the parent that you are financially dependent on, generally who you live with. Household income includes the income of that parent’s partner, if they have one.
selective focus photography of rolled 5 banknote
Photo by Philip Veater / Unsplash

6. Do I have to apply again next year?

Yes. Student Finance England will contact you each year when it’s time to re-apply.

7. How do I repay the loan?

You don't have to worry about this until you finish your course, but for general information... Your repayments are normally collected through the tax system by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). This will either be:

• through the Pay As You Earn (PAYE) scheme if you are the employee of a company; or
  • directly to HMRC through Self Assessment.

8. Can I pay it off early?

Yes. You can make arrangements with the Student Loans Company to pay off some or all of the loans early. For more information go to www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk

For more infomation visit The Government Website or Student Finance England.