Pearson Business School 2 min read

International Women's Day: My story studying Business as a woman

Chloe Jarman

Chloe Jarman posted on

Who am I?

My name is Chloe, I’m 22 years old and I’m in my last year at Pearson College London studying towards a BA in Business Management. Outside of education, I play for Stevenage Ladies Football Club and have been playing football since the age of ten. I was never scared to go and join in with the boys at Primary School which I believe is something that has helped me working in a business environment.

What has been the best thing about being a Business Management student?

I would say… the flexibility of being able to choose which path I’d like to go down. Starting off my degree, I didn’t have a clue what route I wanted to go down. But once I got stuck in I realised the marketing route was the one for me so I was able to choose modules accordingly. Also, my lecturers are so helpful, they go above and beyond and know you on a first name basis, they are actually interested in what you are doing!

Have you carried out any internships?

Yes, I have carried out two in the Marketing department at Pearson College London as a Marketing Assistant. This enabled me to put what I’ve learnt into practice, and gain an insight into what databases are relevant in a marketing role. I also felt like I could express myself through my creative ideas which were acted upon by numerous members of staff.

I also carried out an internship at a start-up company called Aileron, where I was known as an International Business Developer. In this role I carried out the resellers program generating B2B leads, attended the aero expo selling our product to customers and helped create the brand dossier for the brand.

What things have you done to enhance your CV?

Whilst at Pearson College London I was able to create a charity football match which unfortunately didn’t go ahead, but I received over two hundred retweets on the social media account, £2,000 in sponsorship, and was also contacted by Sky, Nandos and ITV! Not only this, I had the opportunity to partake in a number of industry days including Boots, Unilever, Hippodrome Casino and IBM, which I was fortunate enough to be in the winning group.

I have worked as a sales assistant at Waitrose throughout my studies to help give me some extra money, and to understand what working in a customer facing role is like. In addition to this, I have volunteered at Age UK and helped at a school in Malawi, as I believe giving back is just as important and helps create your own personal values.

Lastly, I participated in the CIM marketing competition ‘The Pitch’. Fortunate enough to reach the top 10, myself and two of my peers pitched towards giants in the business world including the marketing advisor of 10 Downing Street and the Marketing Director of Lidl!

What do you want to do after graduating?

I would like to work in a marketing role as I have a keen interest in this area, especially social media and brand management. However, I am open to explore other career opportunities in project management or product management roles.