Escape Studios 2 min read

International Women's Day: Interview with Linda Spaggiari, Escapee

Rachael Jones

Rachael Jones posted on

We caught up with another female Escapee and Linda Spaggiari to talk about first impressions of the industry, the future of VFX and mentors. Linda has worked as a Compositor on projects including Grace and Frankie, The Alienist and My Cousin Rachel.

What are your thoughts on the future of VFX?
I think the world of VFX has changed a lot and keeps evolving very fast, so it’s important to understand what you want to do, and where you fit in such a large industry, as more and more young people approach it and there is a lot of competition.

**What was the moment you knew you wanted to be in the creative industries? **
I always knew I wanted to be in the creative industries, even if I spaced from fashion, to editing, compositing, for me it was always a matter of telling a story, and celebrating the beauty in a creative way, to communicate with the audience.

What were your first impressions? What are the biggest challenges of being a woman in the VFX industry?
At first I thought people would not get me enough credit, or less than some of my male colleagues, but I have to admit I was so lucky to meet such great people, and work with many women in powerful positions, that I rarely had the impression people would judge my work any differently. I think while personality makes a difference, and you have to show you’re a confident, strong woman, you should not forget women have a different eye and sensitivity, which, in my opinion, is a great strength.

What was your breakthrough project?
Danny Boyle’s “Steve Jobs”.

Have you had any mentors along the way?
I did, and I would like to thank each one of them. Davi Stein, at Escape Studios, who recommended me for my first job. Allar Kaasik, for teaching me while at Escape Studios. Agueda del Castillo Sainz, who believed in me from the start, and took me under her wing. Matthew Chan, who supported me and taught me. Lewis Wright, whom would stay even late to explain me things and help me out. TJ Sing, who supported me and always gave me a lot of advice. Shani Hermoni, who would always have a nice word and also taught me a lot. Marc Hutchings, who was not just a great lead but also a great teacher. To all of them, who were not just mentors, but great friends as well, THANK YOU.

Who/what inspires you?
Great artists, whether from Renaissance or contemporary, painters or directors of photography, their vision, their passion, their art.

In your opinion, why is it important that more women get into VFX?
I think it’s important to get more women into VFX because we have a different vision, sensitivity, attention to details, a different approach and eye, which needs to have voice, and resonate.