Apprenticeships 2 min read

International Women's Day: Interview with a Rotational Degree Apprentice

Katie Fiddaman

Katie Fiddaman posted on

Today we sat down with Level 6 Rotational Degree Apprentice, Katie Soper, to hear her story about her apprenticeship and what she has done over the three years to contribute to the companies that she has worked at.

Can you please tell me a little bit about yourself?

I am Katie, I am in my third year studying on the Rotational Degree Apprenticeship. During my apprenticeship, I have worked at Pearson College London in Business to Business Marketing and Communications and Content; IBM as RFS Manager and Tesco in Social Media Marketing.

So what made you decide to be a degree apprentice?

When I left college, I began working full time and I knew that I wanted to progress my career straight away rather than going back to full time education. However, in order to access the higher level job roles in the future, I knew that a degree was required. Therefore, a degree apprenticeship gave me the best of both worlds.

Do you think you have made an impact in the businesses that you have worked in?

Yes, I would say because the Rotational Degree Apprenticeship has allowed me to work in three different companies and I have learnt things from the companies that I have been able to apply to the next company that I have worked at. For example, bringing new ideas and changing strategies; I am currently working on a new social media strategy at Pearson College London that uses what I learnt at Tesco.

What inspires you or motivates you?

I think what motivates me most is always trying to do well for myself and my future and always trying to be ahead of the game. Ultimately, I aim to be in a job role that I enjoy and am happy being in, which I know takes the hard work now.

What do you hope to do after your degree apprenticeship?

After my apprenticeship, I hope to continue progressing my career in marketing, particularly the influencer marketing space. This would be social media or communications marketing focused. Immediately, the influencer market in higher education interests me; however, I would be interested in exploring other industries throughout my career.

Finally, what would you say to someone applying for an apprenticeship?

If you are a motivated and proactive individual, I would recommend that you apply. Everything else can be learned. And good luck!