Escape Studios 2 min read

Getting to Know the Head of Games, Simon Fenton

Chloe Jarman

Chloe Jarman posted on

Today we are talking to Simon Fenton (Head of Games) about his interests and advice.

Simon-Fenton

What games are you looking forward to seeing in 2019 and why?

Well Resident Evil 2 has just come out, so that's a good start, for mobile The Elder Scrolls: Blades and console, The Last of Us Part 2, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, Cyberpunk 2077 and possibly the new Halo.

2) What was your inspiration when you were a student?

Set design for film and theatre, I had spent a major portion of my grant in the Arcades, it didn't occur to me that I could work in games even though I was studying art. I think it was an article in Edge magazine that made realise that these games didn't magically appear and there were developers who make games and I could be an artist working in games, making the sets for games became my idea of a dream job.

3) Do you have any tips for a prospective students portfolio?

1.With any project that we see be it photography, drawing or digital, we like to see the preparatory work as well as the final piece, we want to know how you arrived at your artistic choices, it's not great in an interview when we ask why you approached your work in a certain way and we hear “I don't know”.
2.Only put in your best work, which should be art. We often see portfolios with lots of writing in and although you will be doing some writing during the course, at this point we want you to show us art not writing.
3.If you are applying for animation then you should consider showing us some animation work (or talk about software you might have used in College or at a Taster Day), it shows us that you are serious, inquisitive and have explored the subject you are interested in.
4.At the Creative Workshop, we might ask you who your favourite animators or games artists are - and we don't want to hear “I don't know”. By having answers to these questions it shows your passionate and have researched the industry.