Apprenticeships 2 min read

Life as a Degree Apprentice month 8

Katie Fiddaman

Katie Fiddaman posted on

January was another busy month for me, mostly due to the preparation required for February and March but it’s also the start of the year so lots of new projects and events are happening.

Young Apprentice Ambassador Network Talk

I attended my fist YAAN event which was a careers convention in Reading. I talked to parents and students about apprenticeships as an alternative route to gaining a qualification. I also gave two presentations outlining what it is like to be an apprentice and what I actually do as part of my role. It was a great way to work on my presentation skills and display my passion that students should consider apprenticeships.

Induction presentation for new students

As part of the induction process for the new students, myself and another apprentice prepared a presentation about life as a degree apprentice and some of our top tips for things that we were not shared with them back in September. The students said that they found it useful and the topics we covered were:

1. Style of teaching
  2. Work-life balance
  3. Living away from home
  4. Researching techniques
  5. Independent thinking and working

Started back at university

This month I have also started my second semester at university, attending another induction day to welcome new students and ensure we are all tracking our progress for our portfolio.

I also attended my first Principles of Business seminar for this term, whereby we were split into smaller groups and tasked with setting up a business this term to present in April.

Social Media Scheduling

January is the first month of the year, meaning the first quarter of the year. As part of my role is social media, I had to receive briefs from team members so that campaigns could be expressed across social media channels as well as through other marketing materials.

Breakfast with the CEO

Finally, I was invited to a new starter breakfast with John Fallon, CEO of Pearson plc, who talked about how the company was established and what we are looking at for the future. He gave very intriguing answers to a wide range of questions asked by the guests and said he was particularly excited for the future of Pearson College London!

For more blogs about apprenticeships, visit the Apprenticeships tag; or to find our more about our degree apprenticeship programmes, visit the Pearson College London website.

Life as a Degree Apprentice month 8