Student Takeover 1 min read

Thomas Cowley presents at an Academic Conference in Canada

Katie Fiddaman

Katie Fiddaman posted on

Hi, my name is Thomas Cowley. I was a student at Pearson Business School from September 2015 to May 2018. I studied the BA Honours Business Management Degree programme and achieved a First.

My tutor, Dr. David Atkinson, submitted my Final Project Dissertation to the West East Institute, who run academic conferences on Education and Social Sciences. My paper ‘Solving the ‘Learning Crisis’ in Developing Countries Through Jugaad Innovation Education Technology: A Qualitative Study’ was accepted for oral presentation and publication at the 2018 West East Institute International Academic Conference in Niagara Falls, Canada.

Presenting at the conference was an amazing and unforgettable experience. It was an honour to share my work with other scholars, many of whom were presenting PHD research. The conference attendees came from all over the world, including academics from Oslo Metropolitan University, University of Gothenburg, University of Bologna, University of Delhi and the University of Lagos.

I would give three recommendations to any student aiming to attend a conference and achieve publication. Firstly, when choosing a research topic, pick a truly unique area that has not been considered before. Secondly, it’s essential to have a sufficient network of contacts who can help with your primary research; part time work is excellent for this. Thirdly, the rigor and quality of your research should be of utmost importance.

For more information about students who have had similar opportunities, visit our Centre for Industry Engagement hub.