Internships 3 min read

My internship at Aileron

Chloe Jarman

Chloe Jarman posted on

Internships are vital when studying at university. There are a record breaking numbers of individuals going to university, so it’s important now more than ever to get experience under your belt and set yourself apart from your peers.

What is Aileron?

Aileron is a company that launched in 2017 by four budding entrepreneurs. They collectively had an ambition of delivering a personalised touch to pilot logbooks, which someone could treasure in years to come. Founded by pilots for pilots, this company truly believes in creating a high quality, glamorous product that stands out on your mantelpiece, and is not simply just shoved in your bookshelf.

Two pilots in an airplane cockpit during take-off
Photo by Jon Flobrant / Unsplash

How did I find the position?

When looking for internships it’s extremely important to search, search, search. There are so many amazing opportunities out there, you really need to take advantage of them! Networking is vital and I encourage you to keep connecting with people because you’ll be surprised what doors can open for you. In my case, a friend recommended me to look at the internship at this start-up company that her friend co-owned. The job title stated,
“Aileron is looking for someone with an entrepreneurial spirit a self-motivated and creative individual to call the shots as an acting CEO. You’ll have decision making and business steering powers working closely alongside our Director team as part of our three month Internship.”
This is exactly what I was looking for. Something that I could really get stuck into and not just simply be the ‘coffee girl’. I wanted to have the freedom to be innovative and what better way to do that than to work in a startup company.

A minimal workspace with a laptop, a potted plant and small sculptures
Photo by Kari Shea / Unsplash

What was my first day like?

Well actually I work remotely so my first day was in my own house. The team welcomed me to their group chat on slack (which is a great app for businesses by the way), and shared with me all their content and projects that they wanted me to contribute to. They then invited me to an Aeroexpo, which gave me a great feel about the company and the product. This was a great chance for me to meet all the team, who were extremely welcoming and answered any questions that I had.

What are you doing at Aileron?

Well, this sometimes changes on a weekly basis. But at this current time I’m reaching out to potential contacts promoting the resellers program. This program is mainly aimed at pilot schools who receive a commision when they sell one of our logbooks to one of their customers. It’s a tricky job, as response rates can sometimes make you downhearted but you have to keep pushing forward. All it takes is for one person to show interest and then ‘Hey presto’. Alongside this, I came up with the idea of contacting universities and seeing if they would be interested in promoting the same program or even buying the logbooks as a gift for their graduating aviation students.

A person making a checklist in a notebook
Photo by Glenn Carstens-Peters / Unsplash

What have you learnt/learning?

1. Plan. Plan. Plan.
  2. Make sure you also have a schedule because it’s extremely easy to get behind on your work.
  3. Just ask if you’re not sure, there’s no harm in asking for more help.
  4. Set yourself targets and goals, don’t try and impress by going over the top. Be realistic and give it your best shot at meeting them.
  5. Sharing is always caring. If there’s any idea you have make sure you speak to other team members about it. No idea is stupid.
  6. Make sure you actually get on with your colleagues. They need to be fun, after all they’re your work family!

I’m extremely grateful to the team at Aileron for giving me this opportunity and I am excited to learn more throughout this role.

My internship at Aileron