Student Takeover 2 min read

My Internship at Pearson College London

Henry Harvey

Henry Harvey posted on

As a Business Management student, going in to my final year at Pearson Business School, I am currently enrolled in the guaranteed internship programme. It has been busy couple of months and I feel that I have learnt a lot from it.

My internship process started when I had an interview for Sweatcoin, an app with over 12 million downloads. I did little research on the company or the position, hoping that I could wing the interview. It ended up embarrassingly; I wore a suit in an office full of t-shirts and casual wear and it didn’t improve from there, needless to say I didn’t get an offer. I learnt my first lesson from my guaranteed internship and I hadn’t even started; know as much about the company that you’re interviewing for as possible (you can’t look too keen!).

From there I got my second chance and had an interview with Pearson, preparation for this was a little easier as I have been studying here for a couple of years, the process went much better and I got the job of Student Recruitment Assistant.

Before this internship I had never had a job in an office, having mainly worked in the service industry, this left me slightly bewildered on my first day on the fourth floor. However with time I have become more comfortable. I feel like this experience in the professional environment has given me such an advantage over friends at traditional universities, many of who aren’t considering internships until their final year. Whereas, I have spent time in an office, this gives me more experience than my friends which should help both getting a job and settling into my career more quickly also.

The bulk of my job has been travelling to UCAS fairs where I represent Pearson College; the role entails talking to potential students, trying to create interest in them, getting them to attend open days and ultimately come to the College. Since starting on the 7th of June I have been around the country and attended six different fairs. At first, I learnt to build my confidence this meant getting to know what to say, persevering through rejection and trying to be engaging and interesting. All of these soft skills are transferable and I can take into future jobs and job interviews. From there, I had a discussion with my boss Alastair and we talked about tailoring each conversation to the personality of each student that I spoke to. This added an extra level of difficulty to the job as it meant very briefly analysing the personality types of strangers and then adapting to them on the fly. As a student at Pearson College London, I learnt about Emotional Intelligence in theory, I am now attempting to use it to improve engagement and create warmer leads for the marketing team further down the line.

I have absorbed so much from my internship, not only gaining experience in the workplace but also learning to reply and read every email promptly, learn a few business tools, implement Emotional Intelligence, navigate the office environment and take responsibility.

My Internship at Pearson College London