Student Takeover 2 min read

Interning at Pearson Business School

Oli Kyte

Oli Kyte posted on

Joining Pearson Business School means far more than just becoming a student. It is the start of a new lifestyle that is run very differently to many of the nations students and certainly means far more than gaining a degree. As a former student of a “Traditional” Russell Group university I’ve been able to experience two different Higher Education paths and am able to liken and compare them. I can say with certainty which of the two experiences I’ve truly gained from.

From day one at Pearson Business School I was encouraged to find myself work experience; if I wasn’t already working part-time for a firm like many of my friends. My personal tutor discussed my interests, which – as I’m sure is the case for many first year students – were extremely vague and unsure. Nonetheless within a number of weeks I was working alongside a Minorities charity; developing their fundraising strategy. A few weeks on, I was meeting the head of the Evelina Children’s Heart Organisation for the Principles of Business module and had begun work as a Student Ambassador for Pearson College.

The ambassadorial role was one that I particularly took to, and thoroughly enjoyed the responsibilities of a Student Ambassador and loved selling PBS to prospective students. This was a role I would continue into my second year at the university; shortly into which I was promoted into a Senior Ambassador role. Along the way, I had achieved strong grades and decided, as a slightly more mature student that I would Accelerate my degree; giving up the summer holidays around first and second year in order to squeeze in two more academic terms.

This brought new challenges and meant that I no longer had the time to take on any full-time roles. Nonetheless, Pearson Business School wanted to find me a role as part of their Guaranteed Internship Scheme. I thought there could be no better company to work for, than the one whose team I already felt an affinity to and would have a complete understanding the challenges I would face while completing the final level of my degree. But the role that Pearson Business School had to offer me was far greater an experience than I expected.

The Student Recruitment Assistant role was a step up from being a Student Ambassador. Henry Harvey and I were responsible with running UCAS fairs, liaising with schools and giving talks to large groups of students. Presentations have become a familiar part of life as a Pearson Business School student, but these were typically in front of three to ten people. My first presentation was in front of sixty students however and provided an experience that I truly learnt from. From then onwards, presentations became much more comfortable and I can thank the internship for providing me with widely applicable skill that I can be proud of.

As my degree and internship come to a close in August, I have plenty to thank Pearson College London for. Most particularly the encouragement and passion that the staff have for their students, which has truly inspired, motivated and driven my career path. My time at Pearson has taught me that although having the facilities and the opportunities available are key for success, they’re useless without putting yourself forward and that’s certainly the ethos of Pearson Business School.

Interning at Pearson Business School