Student Takeover 5 min read

Living at home and being a student at Pearson College London

Amber de Silva

Amber de Silva posted on

So you’ve decided you want to live at home, rather than in halls, for whatever reason: you felt that you weren’t ready to move out yet, you didn’t like the accommodation or you simply just couldn’t afford it (I know the feeling, accommodation can be pricey!) but you’re worried that you might miss out on the student experience. I’m here to hopefully answer all your burning questions about living at home, whilst being a full-time student at Pearson College London.

Q: Surely you don’t go on nights out if you live at home?
A
: This is a frequent question I get asked by my friends who live on their Uni campuses, but let me assure you...THIS IS FALSE! Be rest-assured you can still have great nights out even if you do still live at home! With many great night clubs located in Leicester Square, which operates with the Northern Line and has a night service on Friday’s and Saturday’s, meaning that you can still go out without rushing off before 12 to catch the last train home! On top of this I’m sure some of the friends you make will live in halls, so there is always the option of staying at theirs if you don’t fancy that train journey home.

Whilst you might not think it, a lot of students who study at Pearson College London live at home and commute in from all over! Don’t be fooled into thinking that you have to live in halls to get the most out of Uni, many students felt that living at home was the best choice for them. Besides, Pearson College London put on great events at the Uni campus that don’t run too late, so, if your train or bus service does stop running slightly earlier, you still don’t have to worry about missing out on the fun.

Photo by Drew Farwell / Unsplash

Q:Is it expensive to travel?
A:
I’m not going to lie to you, travelling in London can be expensive, but there are lots of great ways that you can save money on travel, and besides your student loan will more than cover your travel expenses for a year. Make sure you apply for a 16-25 year old or a student railcard, which will give you 30% off adult travel prices, meaning that even if you do have to travel during on-peak times, your railcard will cap (stop charging you) at around £12.50 a day! This means that you can travel to and from Uni, whilst still being able to visit great sights in London for a great price. On top of this Pearson College London are great for accommodating those who travel in; they will try to put your lectures and seminars over a few days, meaning that you won’t just have to come in for an hour or two every day of the week.

Q: How do I choose between halls or living at home?
A:
I’m sure moving into halls whilst enrolling at University is an exciting time, and a great way to interact with new people, but for me accomodation was out of my price range and I felt that living at home was the right decision for me. Some advice for you would be to attend an Open Day so you can get a feel for the accomodation and the campus, make sure you ask lots of questions and remember the decision is yours! Always do what’s best for you, don’t let what your friends are doing influence your decision, and hey if you decide after a year of living at home you want to live in London, there are some great ways to find accomodation that’s suitable for you!

Q: Do you find it more difficult to study at home?
A:
Studying at home can be challenging, especially if you’re working on group projects which require you to all be in the same room at once (can be more challenging than you think!) but there are many ways to overcome this. I also find that it’s easier to procrastinate at uni, as it’s more than likely you’ll see someone you know and that 5 minute chat can sometimes turn into an hour! Whereas at home I find it easier to sit at my desk and get on with work, I try to put my phone away so I won’t be tempted to check social media, which really helps when I’ve set myself a deadline to complete work by. Although, studying at home can also provide distractions; but, if you’re a dedicated student, studying at home should be no trouble at all, and there are many great ways to help you revise, including: making a revision schedule (and sticking to it!), if you need to need to meet for a group project, set up a skype call instead - that way you can still share your ideas and you don’t have to make your way into uni, or use time in between lectures and seminars to catch up on work, if you’re already at uni, you may as well use the great studying facilities that Pearson College London has! Whether you want to work in a group or quietly, there’s always somewhere to study.

Photo by Marvin Meyer / Unsplash

Q: Is it harder to make friends if you don’t live in halls?
A:
A must for getting to know people is Freshers Week! It’s a great way to meet people that you’re going to be studying with, whether you’re living in halls or at home. You’re going to be spending a lot of time with your peers, so it’s good to make an effort to get to know them. You’re all in the same boat, so don’t worry if you’re nervous about meeting people, chances are they probably are too, and once you get chatting, I’m certain you’ll make great friends for life. If you do miss out on the chance to attend Freshers, don’t panic! The first week of uni is an induction week, where you’ll be put in groups to do fun activities and get the chance to know one another, so you’ll still have the opportunity to make friends then.

Hopefully this blog answered some of your questions about living at home, and proved that you don’t have to live in halls to enjoy your uni experience. If you want to know more, have a look at our website! It’s filled with great tips and advice about accommodation from current students, who know exactly how you feel and want to help you make the right choice.